Pastoral Evangelism (EM236)
Australian College of Theology Name: Pastoral Evangelism
Teacher: Sarah Kinstead or Karen Ray
Sarah Kinstead talking about Pastoral Evangelism
To understand the place of evangelism within the context of pastoral ministry.
• To provide an introduction to a biblical perspective on evangelism in pastoral settings.
• To explore opportunities to apply these perspectives in pastoral contexts.
• To expose you to a brief history of holistic pastoral care.
• To introduce you to some models of pastoral care.
At the end of the unit you should:
Know and understand:
1. The definition and role of pastoral evangelism.
2. The essential biblical basis of pastoral ministry and evangelism.
3. The history and essential nature of holistic pastoral care
4. The place of prayer, proclamation and compassion in pastoral evangelism
Be able to:
1. Outline the essential aspects of the Gospel
2. Describe how pastoral evangelism functions in a variety of ministry settings.
3. Utilise essential listening and pastoral skills
4. Respond to Gospel opportunities in pastoral settings
Be in a position to:
1. Apply a holistic model of pastoral care that includes evangelism
2. Under supervision, engage in pastoral evangelism
This unit engages the development of ideas and definitions relating to pastoral evangelism. It considers the place of evangelism within pastoral contexts within Christian ministry.
• Introduction to the definitions of pastoral care, pastoral ministry and evangelism, from a biblical and theological perspective
• The biblical perspective of suffering and human need
• Study of biblical examples of pastoral evangelism especially in Acts and the epistles
• Examination of the place of pastoral evangelism within various pastoral care models
• Understanding the Gospel message and particularly how to apply it to pastoral settings
• The importance and practice of listening and pastoral skills
• Opportunities for pastoral evangelism in institutional and community chaplaincies, and through church and community involvement
• The importance of prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit
• The importance of the pastoral evangelist’s own spiritual and personal care
To download this information Click Here.